Thursday 14 September 2017

Hot Legs...Day 5: Bandon to Crescent City

Saddled-up bang-on 7am (you may well have heard the whimper, hah-hah!) and headed out to my breakfast stop at Port Orford. No McDs, but I was just grateful that anywhere was open serving: this stretch ain't well served, service-wise.
Quick selfie before leaving Bandon.
OR to CA today! There's a bit of flat in there somewhere...
It was just a case of a Clif Bar and one of those ropey honey'n'oat monstrosities to keep me going until my bacon, egg and hash-brown burrito. Yes!
Tessa Wyatt decided on a new direction.

Appreciate the heads-up.

I should've stopped here: bet they do a mean fry-up er, porridge...
After breakfast there was a little forest nonsense again before we were guided back to the beautiful coastline...
Found Scaramanga's lair.

Photos do not do it justice. Especially not mine!
Then it was a cheeky body-swerve back inland a little and the chance to add-on some elevation, i.e. more climbing'n'sweating.
Especially significant nowadays. No smoke seen today, thankfully.

What warning signs?
Sure enough, the road snaked back out to the coast and before too long I was passed by a pair headed south: these gals were steaming along and shouted across that it was okay if I wanted to hop-on. It took me a good hour to realise that I should have gone full 'Kenneth Connor' and told the lady in question to reverse the roles...
As fast as...
I did my best to take a turn before gracefully steeping aside lest I should impede their progress. In other words, that was all I could do as they were motorin'!
I towed them for all of 200 yards before risking imminent coronary trauma. Worth it though.
I saw more cyclists of all shapes and on various contraptions out today which was terrific: it gives some sort of lift to realise that you aren't the only fool around, hah-hah! No matter, as the scenery continued to astound- it's all you can do not to stop at every cove or vista. I'd be here until December if I did, though.



And a message *for* one of our beneficiaries!
I can promise you that this is no jolly and the stats would bear that out (not to mention the knackered legs, hah-hah!). Despite the wonderful scenery, every incline is a fight to some extent and I'm very grateful for the usually generous shoulder. Good on you, OR!
What? Dylan fans on the council...excellent.

Great Pyramid of Giza and Colossus of Rhodes, you better up your game!

I really would love to: from the little that I've seen, this is a beautiful area.

No offence OR, but this was good to see!
From there it was the usual trudge into town and then try to find your motel: cunningly my Travelodge had been taken-over and renamed. Still they couldn't shake me off the scent. Literally...
My aperitif. Cheers Ears!
Guess what? Yeah, you know what...the usual polite plea is coming-up: if you can spare a couple of Shekels for two great causes then please click HERE!

Strava louts should go to THIS LINK.

This only leaves us with T.O.T.D., which I understand is a favourite of Germaine Greer...
Just possibly the worst promotional film ever. And that's going some!

No comments:

Post a Comment