Saturday 23 September 2017

Mony Mony...Day 13: San Miguel to Santa Maria

Dunno about you, but my Saturday started early with me sat outside in 4c trying to get a usable wifi connection. And no, I didn't get any funny looks at all. Not many!

The sacrifices that I make to ensure bloggage, hah-hah! My cell was at the far-end of the compound, hence zero signal.
Game of two halves again?
Once all formalities had been completed it was time to head south through Paso Robles and turn right and head-out to see if The Pacific was still there.
Bravo California!

Well at least they signed-it...no excuses for missing this!

Gary Garmin reckoned on the OAT being 4c, give-or-take. All I know is that it was Baltic!

Something to do with pumpkins- but why on the side of a giant chilli? I guess we'll never know!

Free-range.
My cunning plan was to stop for breakfast after about 15 miles (yep, at my favourite Scottish restaurant) and fuel for the climb across and then down to the ocean. So that's just what I did!
Move along, nothing for you here...pt.1!

I was overdue one.
Inner tube changed and it was off uphill: great to see a few proper cyclists out there too. Before long I was joined by a German gent by the name of Conrad. He was happy to keep me company up the drag and then he turned-back. Well, there's only so much nonsense you can take...

Apparently he lives in L.A. but spends the weekend here so he can get out on his bike. Anyway, nice to meet you, to meet you...nett!
These guys were circling overhead: thermalling or had they spotted the weakest link, hah-hah!

Digging Conrad's 'Sagan'-style goggles!
See what I mean? And he's just won a third consecutive 'Worlds': Sagan, not Conrad.
When you crested the summit, the view was a 'laugh out loud' job, definitely. Just extraordinary!
Could there be a more perfect road?


In no way was I tempted to push it over the edge. No, not at all.

I wouldn't have got it back either!


Just a beautiful landscape, especially under a flawless blue sky too. At the bottom it was a left turn and time to follow the coast again, if only for a few miles.
Move along, nothing for you here...pt.2!



Soon be time to wind inland a little...and climb. Shock, horror etc...

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows: hopefully it's with me! It did for the second half.

I only stopped there for a breather, ahem...
"Over Macho Grande?" "You never get over Macho Grande."

'Tour' fresh tarmac. All for me.

Briefly considered buying one. Just briefly, you understand.

Apt, nowadays.

Someone actually hand-clapped me as I wheezed up this climb. Probably slooow hcs, but hcs all the same, hah-hah!

Made a glorious rumble pulling away. He'll need to refuel it just over the hill, probably. 

Sign here for a free mile...get in!

Water tower always marks the spot of a town in the distance: it is getting closer, honestly.


And the good news was that it's about 6 miles from Guadalupe to Santa Maria and my Motel 6. Class always! Dinner was destroyed at the local Olive Grove: not gonna set the world alight, but did the job. The place was mobbed too.
Cheers!
So that's a.n.other century done and that leaves three more cycling days to reach San Diego. Two shorter days and then one monster day to finish on Thursday- I'm certainly not counting any chickens and let's take it one day at a time. Tomorrow's mission is to reach Santa Barbara...I'll keep you posted, you lucky people.

Okay, it's time to post the inevitable link, hah-hah! If you can spare anything for Bloodwise & The British Legion, please click ON THIS...thanks!

You Strava louts can only watch and wonder here...

T.O.T.D.? Raucous nonsense of the highest order: I have no higher praise!
Go on Max- oh, and happy birthday Boss!

No comments:

Post a Comment