Sunday 24 September 2017

Land of 1000 Dances...Day 14: Santa Maria to Santa Barbara

This may sound perilously close like I'm taking it for granted, but it was crisp and clear when I dared to put my toe in, so-to-speak. I should add that this bravery only occurred after a top-notch breakfast at Dennys, which was next door to my motel.
Managed to beat the rush hour once again.
Speaking of which, last night apparently the room above me held the regional heats of the 'Riverdance' talent search, whilst next door's family decided to let everyone know within a 6 block radius when they got up at 5 a.m.: meh, sleep is overrated...
Two more stages after this...come on!

Liked the mohican of trees on the ridge.

Er, sparkling if you've got it?
 Understandably I pretty much had these country roads to myself although 'Shout Of The Day' came from a chap on his tractor: cheers Sir! Can I call it a Mexican Wave? I'll get my coat...
Every proper climb is a fight: all that paint has ended-up on my knees and shorts, hah-hah!
 After a while I did see a few other cyclists out on a jolly: this area is suited to it. Most wave back: always a couple of terribly focussed individuals/miserable gits, hah-hah!

Timberrrr!
Dunblane's finest is branching er, vining-out.

Up, up and away...again.

Strangely beautiful landscape. Is beguiling the word? Over to you.
There was a two or three mile section of road that I'd rate as in my top-ten: it started with a shortish, rude climb of switchbacks before a rolling, tumbling and twisting remainder. Just fantastic, and made all the more so because I had no idea that it was coming-up. And that's part of the joy of a tour like this: I know all my local roads way too well, so to be surprised is something that I had forgotten!
Maybe a glass later. Right now, water please.
 I knew that after about 40 miles, the town of Solvang would give me an opportunity for a break. What I didn't realise was that it was Little Denmark...Hygge included!
Carlsberg & Danepak not pictured. Thankfully.

If it makes them happy...
 I stopped at a local bike shop to borrow a track-pump and asked the bloke if there were many gas stations or shops between here and Santa Barbara: he was fairly blunt: eat here because there ain't anything! Fair enough then...there was a great burger joint a couple of doors down (not sure if he owned it too), but a milkshake and a load of calories did the trick.
Great local place!
In the event, he was telling porkies: there was a gas station a mile up the road, hah-hah! After that, not so much...and the temp did get up to 33c.
Americans and roundabouts: what could possibly, etc.? Actually no drama and no worse than us. Yet!
The route into Santa Barbara was a mainly on a busy but smooth carriageway: it's only drawback was that occasionally the shoulder would disappear, which isn't ideal on a drag of a climb. Or indeed when you're bombing downhill, hah-hah! As ever, 99.95% of drivers get it and realise that you're doing your best...
It wasn't always this generous, ahem.

Fire risk all too evident.
After a few miles it was time to take a turn and head onto the old road in, and although the surface was rough in parts, it was a lot quieter and also featured quite a climb and then the reward of a view!
The Cold Spring Tavern was doing a roaring/rumbling Sunday lunchtime trade. Tempted, but passed it by...

The Cold Spring Arch Bridge. Don't believe me?
Told you. Good work!
It was a good old haul up there: just when you reckoned it was going to top-out, there was a another sneaky twist and a bit more to do. Excellent. And when the top did arrive, then it was time to rejoin Hwy 154 and descend pronto into Santa Barbara...some views to be had but a bit iffy to try and take snaps at speed.
These look scary enough in the daytime, for Goodness' sake!

Santa Barbara hello again! Well, a bit of it anyway.
After exiting the Highway, it was a slight faff to get downtown to the hotel but it was job done before too long.
You're 100% on this? Okay then...
I was last in Santa Barbara in 2001 for an all-too-quick overnight stop: this time I want to take this chance to tick something off my list: whale watching. Alright, don't all laugh at once, hah-hah! With that in mind, I booked myself on a cruise tomorrow morning. Come on Moby, don't be shy...show yourself.
Guaranteed sighting albeit for a short-time.
Whale-watching vessel ahoy! Er, middle left, I hope...

Yeah, that'll do.


I make that time to find a restaurant. Excellent!
If you've stuck with this caper this far and would like to help both The Royal British Legion and Bloodwise, then please click on this bit, thanks!


The Royal British Legion are helping families of Invictus competitors attend the Toronto Games.

Strava-types can marvel and wonder here, but the rest of you are sane enough not to!

So today's T.O.T.D. comes from *this* Wicked Pickett 'best of' that I bought here all those years ago!

While we're here, a huge thank you to The BAE Warton Heritage Dept. for their outstanding contribution: just wonderful and really appreciated by the two great causes. And a big thank you also to a fellow Tdf alumni, Mike. Just amazing scenes!



No comments:

Post a Comment