Saturday 16 September 2017

Knock On Wood...Day 7: Fortuna to Garberville

Just what you need if you're Garmin packs up, hah-hah!
Right then, time to 'fess up a smidge: the eagle-eyed amongst you may spot that today's mileage is a tad on the light side. I'll tell you now that it'll be similar tomorrow and the reason is that my left knee is protesting a little. Not revolting, but protesting.

Not even 70 miles. R.I.C.E., or something like that!
We're not at DEFCON 1 by any stretch and I'm trying to make sure that doesn't happen: the reduced climbing will help, I hope. My cunning plan is to scratch the San Francisco rest day and ride that instead and hopefully that'll get us back on track. Meh, plans are *so* last season! With that all blah out of the way, on with the show...
Make up your mind.

Big John Paul Jones fan. Fair enough!
I was advised to take a detour through the small town of Ferndale before heading to today's destination, Garberville via The Avenue Of The Giants. Turns out it was garage sale Saturday...'bargains' galore/tat central!
Er, get it here?

Check out the garb of the three ladies clocking me...excellent!

This looked a bit more professional. Mercenaries, hah-hah!

Where is everyone? Oh yeah, perusing a load of garbage, hah-hah!
 A pleasant diversion for sure, but soon enough it was time to head out in the countryside for a spell and then find the alleged 'Avenue Of The Giants'...
You sure this is CA? Could be a lot of places.



Er, just the one tree? Quite the opposite from later on.

Nice bridge-work.

Keep your hair on, pal.
The other benefit that keeping today short was that it would mean I could dawdle and take my time in T.A.O.T.G., and a couple of people had told me that it would demand your time, but you would not regret it.
Pretty much your first sight. S'alright I suppose...
 Okay, I make zero apologies for the repetition- it was amazing!
There's always one attention-seeker. Probably claiming a dodgy knee or something, ahem.

The Saturn V of Redwoods. Ridiculous!
It was an utter joy to head through the forest- I know that there are too many here, and also that these photos will definitely not do the trees justice.
Nope. I want it all for me, thanks.



Ubiquitous sunflowers shot ahoy!

Brains Trust with The Immortal Tree. Almost 1000 years old.

This cheeky sod eye-balled me before legging-it...

What, you've never seen a yellow bike before?


Hwy 101 was second choice today, yes!

Great during the day, but wouldn't want to be here after dusk.

The River Eel.


Brought to mind my pal Rog's favourite gag: See that tree- do you know what kind it is? Easy. It's Dog Wood. How do I know that? Well, you can tell from the bark...
As unfunny as small settlements come. And probably falls over a lot.



Middle of the photo shows Hwy 101 paralleling the river. Would be on it soon. The Hwy, not the river.
 After re-joining Hwy 101, it was only about 10 miles to tonight's acco: tell you what though, the temp did get up to 32c, which was a handy reminder of what'll be coming...

The town of Garberville had a strange vibe. There were quite a few homeless people and drifters hanging around as well as young kids...didn't quite add-up. That said, there was a Cajun-themed restaurant with shambolic service but fine food and beer, so I'm alright Jack.
IPA. VG!
 Back to the homestead and give the laundry an airing whilst I can keep an eye on it. Although some of the local populace might actually decline it, hah-hah!
Wash & Go.
Have a wild guess what's next: yep, if you can spare a little and want to help Bloodwise and The Royal British Legion then please click ON THIS BIT, thanks!

Needy Strava-types can guffaw HERE!


Today's T.O.T.D.? Was in two minds whether to go for the original but this is great...

Okay, I'm away to give it some zeds...see you tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Guv, hope the knee holds up. Superb bloggage as always and apologies for being late to the party. Jonsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Top donation Guv'nor and much appreciated. Just wish you could get out here and finish this off for me/ride at front/buy me a beer. Cheers anyway!

      Delete