Thursday 21 September 2017

'Dirty Harry' Theme...Day 11: Half Moon Bay to Carmel

Good evening/afternoon/morning! First up, I must apologise for the slightly late running of this service: I started typing about 5 hours ago and next thing you know- out like a light. That isn't the first and won't be the last time that that has happened, hah-hah! Marketable as a cure of insomnia, ahem...
And so am I, just about!
It was another drizzly, dank and quite possibly dreich start for today's trundle to Carmel. All I had to wonder about was whether The Authoritay would decline me admittance to The Principality, on the grounds of them being considerably richer than me, hah-hah!
A few more yards stolen!

The absolute state of the pub where I met Fred yesterday: "Too much the tragic bus!".

Move along...
The only loons that the weather made no difference to was the load of surfers: they're getting wet anyway, right? There wasn't too much tube city action (er, is that what they call it?), more a case of people getting on a board and falling-off it. Still, they seemed enthusiastic enough so good on them!
Popular spot.
It certainly was mild though and one other thing to lift the spirits happened when a few Harley D.s passed me and the last rider gave me a wave: it was only the group of French tourists/anges de l'enfer, one of whom had taken the photo of me riding through the hollowed-out tree on Sunday! They must have spent a couple of days in San Francisco, I imagine. Wouldn't bet against our paths crossing again!
Nope, I will run out of road if I go any further.

As the weather brightened, it brought out some proper cyclists. they even said hello as they flew by. Cheers!
As expected, getting through Santa Cruz was a bit of a drag only lightened by some kid who asked me what/who/where/why etc. as we were waiting at traffic lights. I wish his Mum had put her foot down a bit as the persistent wee toe-rag then asked some more at the next set of lights, hah-hah! Joking of course- always happy to discourage the next generation...
Polythene Pam.
 After eventually leaving Santa Cruz behind, I did find the 'Pacific Bike Route': I'm not allowed on certain stretches of the direct PCH-1. Well, it's all cyclists to be fair, so I'm not being paranoid or anything...*twitches Dreyfus style*...
Farming as far as the eye can see/legs can pedal.
Navigation was a sight more reliable than yesterday's stress-fest, although when you're in the middle of what seems like nowhere it *is* comforting to see those little green signs...
Go left, left, left, right, left!


Then they allow back on for a stretch before booting-you off again.
There was a brisk cross/headwind too, and the last 20 miles were a trudge, especially on indifferent surfaces. However, that isn't a whinge (honest!) as I have had it easy in that regard in the last few days, so class that as merely an observation, hah-hah!

Yeah, but it's no 'Dallas', is it?
As Monterey grew a little nearer and civilisation appeared, so did a fantastic bike path! Funny how the winds don't seem to be a pain once you know that you're on the run in...
My kind of segregation.
16 years later. Blimey...
And a quick bit of car nonsense too: don't worry, I did ask permission from the guys sat in the red 'Vette!


They were chuffed, really!
The last time I was here was in September 2001: I even passed the motel that I stayed in. Thought it had been condemned, to be honest.
Optimistic. Trading Standards, have a word...
My route to Carmel took me by the beachfront in Monterey- busy but not a drama, and it looked fine.
Tempted to 'pull stumps' right here!

That's as bad a Cameron's Pub, hah-hah! No, did not go in.
There was a bit of a climb to the rarefied heights of Carmel but I found my hotel no problem and also Clint Eastwood's old pub, the 'Hog's Breath Inn'. Well, would've been rude not to. I'm quite sure that those were admiring and approving glances that greeted me as I strode in, fragrant as!
Cheesy photo op captured by jolly pair of German tourists. Danke schoen!

And you just about get change out of a ten. Ouch!

No neon gaudiness here, no Sir!
Fair's fair, this place is exactly what it says on the tin and about as other-worldly as The Village in 'The Prisoner'. So it's a day-off of sorts for me tomorrow (well, today now) and a chance to potter and faff. Excellent!
Check back for more nonsense. Might even publish it on the same day, hah-hah!
On behalf of the two charities concerned, a massive thank you for donating almost £2K: that is tremendous. I've nudged the target north a little to 'Bishop Desmond' territory (right Mick?), so we'll see how that goes...in the meantime here are the usual links:

To help both The British Legion & Bloodwise, please click ON THIS BIT!

Strava-louts can point and laugh here...

Right, back to zedzzzzz...oh hang on, there's this classic to play first!

No comments:

Post a Comment