Monday 4 September 2017

Street Life

A bunch of us from work were able to take part again in Blackpool's 'Ride The Lights' evening last Tuesday: you get to share The Promenade with thousands of other eejits on two wheels (although there were a few on unicycles bombing along!) and see the World Famous Illuminations* up close.
(*That's what it says here, honest.)

Blackpool's North Pier ahoy.
I was just glad to stay upright during the event, what with all the stopping and starting and the odd random manoeuvre!
Although you take your life in your hands, it is a unique experience.
It was both sobering and inspiring to see quite a few amputees taking part too which brought me to mind of the help that your donations give to ex-service men and women. Good on you...
The equally-world famous Big One!
The other Good Cause that we're helping is Bloodwise, and they've designated September as 'Blood Cancer Awareness Month'. Yeah I know- it doesn't sound like a bunch of laughs but the idea is to make people realise what it is and also how treatable it is.
Nope, I didn't know either.
Bloodwise's site has a load of case-studies and patient stories: I don't want to start and cherry-pick from people's real-life experiences, but it is beyond doubt that the money raised does real good.
They put it a little better than I can.
As the time to crack on with this malarkey is almost here, I dropped my bike off with local maestro-mechanic Mr Colin Gardner, who used to look after Bradley Wiggins' bikes once upon a time. Wonder whatever happened to him, then? Oh aye, he got himself a Skoda.
At least Colin is still going strong!
Anyway, my bike is pretty much exactly the same as it was for last year's US trek, save for a new saddle which was a necessary change as I managed to break the existing one a couple of weeks ago. I *am* a bit lighter, honest...em, are you gonna finish that pie?

Six years on and a few trips later, the only original parts left on it are the seat post, collar and shifters. Oh, and the frame. But apart from that...
Lairy bar tape. Will be grey after a day or two!
Funnily enough, my packing list is almost exactly the same too: just take the gels out of this photo and swap out the Combat Stress jersey for a Royal British Legion number and we're all set!
Always that nagging feeling: what have I forgotten/why did I pack so much?
In other (good) news: a few years back I cycled across the US in a supported ride organised by the splendid folks at America By Bicycle, and was thrilled to learn that there is a decent chance that our paths will cross again on this trek. They are doing a similar trip to mine, so I'm looking forward to catching-up somewhere in Oregon. There, that's nailed-down then, hah-hah!
Yep, these panniers add 15kgs, easy!
Okey-dokey, I think we're all set. Your sponsorship has been bang-on yet again, and I hope that we can ease the total north as I go south! See you in a bit...


A belting number: Ferry's vocals in the last verse kill me, hah-hah!

No comments:

Post a Comment