Monday 11 September 2017

Ramble On...Day 2: South Bend to Garibaldi

This was one of those days that didn't really pan-out as I thought it would or should. It was a case of departing just after 7am and planning to stop at a well-known fast-food joint after about 20 miles or so. Only thing was, the joint (let's call it McDs for the sake of argument) didn't ever materialise!

Heading in the right direction, if nothing else.

Today's fun-fest!
Bit parky out, early-doors. Still looked terrific!

Tried and failed to get the old 'mists rolling' photo, hah-hah!
Cue one emergency banana and I happened across a grocery store a few miles after anyway, so no drama.

Weather-wise, it was pretty much clear skies and cool: actually bordering on cold in the shade at 9c, and my HR refused to raise much: all-in-all, it was a bit of trudge. At least until I saw The Columbia River and the Astoria-Megler bridge spanning it...wow!
Now we're warming-up a bit!

The Columbia and The Astoria-Megler bridge. Excellent!
Funny how you get a spring in your step sometimes: that's exactly what seeing this did for me. Crossing it on a bike is okay but not something that I particularly want to repeat too often...not least because there's a horrible climb towards the back of it!
Bye WA!

Just a slight incline, then. Merde!
There was a quick run through town and out of it on its other, less-celebrated and much shorter causeway: I stopped for a Subway and after saddling-up again, it was notable that the temperature had risen into the low 80s. Got full bottles, and I'll be able to restock no probs, right? Well...
Neat idea.

Forget it- there's no way I'm catching them. Downhill possibly!
 The climb up to the Oswald West State Park was tough towards the end, but it was generous with the wonderful views at the top. Literally, this was the first clear view of The Pacific on this trip and you just couldn't help but smile!
Wowsville: population, me.

I cajoled some poor sod into taking this. Sorry, I'm slouching.
The nature of the terrain could be described as 'rolling' but not quite as demoralising as those found in Missouri. That said, they still do for you eventually! I was almost out water when a Shell station came into view. Result, and chocolate milk all round.

While I was paying, another customer asked where I was headed: turns out she was English and had clocked my RBL jersey. Anyway, she said that I should enjoy the weather as it wouldn't last: apparently there will be some stormy weather hitting somewhere south on my route in the next few days. I thanked her for being a ray of light and we parted company. We'll see...
On the last 10 miles to Garibaldi. Get in!

My winner of 'Sign Of The Day'!

Runner-up.

Great name for a resort.
Not far now...


That'll do nicely!

On the other side of the jetty, there's dozens of boats. They're big into it.

Yup, it's either fishing or logging round these here parts...
As I checked into my Econo Lodge (nowhere near as dreadful as it sounds, hah-hah!), the clerk asked if I was with the rest of the tour group? Er, not me Ma'am. Turns out there is a supported ride (not ABB) making their way down to San Francisco.

When I called by reception later, there was a bit of a discussion in progress because there was a mix-up with one the cyclist's room. Not really what you want!
Classy joint. Got Rick Stein to blame for all this.
While we're here, it's worth mentioning all the post-ride admin that needs to be done, right when you'd rather be doing anything else. Except cycling, obviously! Wash yourself, the water bottles and then sterilise them, wash your clothes and then try to get the rags dry. Top tip as discovered on the Tour de Force a couple of years back...

Washed, wrung-out and ready for stage two...

Right then, trample all over it and it gives you a fighting chance of getting them dry!
The other priority is, well...take a wild guess!
Ahhhhh!

Beer: is there nothing it can't do?


And finally, the Tune Of The Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment